Saturday, April 12, 2014

Why Bikes?

Kevin has a thing for bikes. 

He has had a bike as far back as he can remember. 


Isn't he cute on his tricycle? And that's just when he was little ;). 

As he got older, he got nicer bikes and started riding more. In college, he worked as a bike mechanic at BYU's Outdoors Unlimited. During the summer of 2010, Kevin trained for and rode in LoToJa, a 206-mile, one-day bike race from Logan, UT to Jackson Hole, WY. That is no easy task! 

Several years later, when we were engaged, he lived with his cousin and friend who love cycling just as much as he does. Together, their collection of road, mountain, and fixed gear bikes looks like this:

  
And I'm not even sure that's all of them. 

I also have a thing for bikes. 

Especially since serving an LDS mission in the Netherlands, where my bike was my main method of transportation. Oh, how I loved the fresh air and the exercise and the thrill of pedaling my little heart out to get to an appointment on time. 


See? Don't I like happy?* And the best part was that there are hardly any hills in the Netherlands. It was perfect for me!

So, of course, when I returned to the States after my mission, I wanted a bike just like my Dutch bike. I looked all over until I found her at Wal Mart! (probably the last place Kevin would ever buy a bike) I commuted on her until I got a car (which is also great, and much better for Utah winters). Here is where I would insert a picture of my beautiful red and white Schwinn if I had one. Maybe another day. 

One of Kevin and my first dates-ish was a tandem bike ride. 

Actually, two of our pre-date dates (meaning that it looked and felt like a date but pre-dated our official "first date") were tandem bike rides. And I just loved it, which may be part of the reason I love him so much. 

Since then, we have been on several other bike rides, but not as much as we would like because we've been awfully busy with planning a wedding and other stuff. Kevin is on the hunt for a used mountain bike for me though. Let me know if you have any leads!

At our wedding reception, guests took pictures with our bikes.

I really wanted to scrapbook pictures of our guests for our guestbook, and Kevin had the idea of using our bikes. So his wonderful sister, Christine, made darling "his" and "her" banners to hang on our bikes and we used those as props.



So as you can see, bikes are kind of our thing, and have played a significant role in the development of our relationship. Hence, the theme of this blog. 

So check it out. Browse our posts and pictures. You just may find something that interests you!

*Disclaimer: this is NOT the bike I rode all over the country. This bike ride was just for fun :). 

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog via FB, Abby, so I read your past posts as well. I will be a follower now! I always enjoy your thoughts and pictures.

    ReplyDelete