Sunday, April 20, 2014

#BecauseofHim

The most important week in history was this week, less than 2,000 years ago.

Several years ago, at the end of summer 2010, I had the opportunity to walk in the footsteps of Jesus Christ during his last week on earth. Talk about a powerful experience! Some of these places were already deeply imprinted on my heart from more than three months of living in Jerusalem; other places were new to me, familiar only from my personal study of Biblical accounts. All of them felt more real that last week in the holy land.


 My friends re-enacted the Last Supper. 


The Garden of Gethsemane, where Jesus suffered. I love this picture because of the prominence of the tree. Did you know olive trees can live to be 2,000 years old? I sometimes like to wonder if Jesus saw some of the same trees I did. 


Dominus Flevit, where Jesus wept over Jerusalem. 


Singing in the Garden Tomb, where Jesus was buried. 
For some reason I don't have many pictures from here. Only memories.

Knowing that His mortal ministry was coming to a close, Jesus spent the last week of His life teaching--both in intimate settings with His closest disciples and in more public places frequented by those who hated Him for threatening their own power. Here is when we find out what was most important to the mortal Messiah. Among other wonderful sermons, He


As Jesus taught truth, His enemies grew stronger and stronger in their hatred against Him. They couldn't outsmart Him, so they sought to destroy Him. He, who was omniscient and omnipotent, the only Being ever to walk this earth who had power over His own death, who could have infinitely put it off but didn't. Those set on killing Jesus were selfish but not ignorant. While they may not have comprehended the eternal consequences of their actions, I believe they did know what they were doing, and I feel sorry for them.

The week culminated in the greatest gift this world has ever been offered. Jesus institutes the sacrament, willingly suffers on our behalf for sins that He never committed but that we have and do and will, delivers Himself into the hands of His enemies, and suffers humiliation, before dying on the cross. Even then, He forgives those who have abused Him. All of that for US.

But the best part of the story is what we celebrate this Sunday, and every Easter Sunday. Even though Jesus Christ died, He LIVED AGAIN. Not in a raised-from-the-dead type of way, but in a perfect and glorious way. And not to return to this mortal life but to live forever in a place where He would never have to suffer or submit Himself to wicked men again. Because He overcame death, each of us will too.   

My life, my hope, my faith, my every day. It's all #BecauseofHim.


Painting by Simon Dewey. 

1 comment: