Thursday, September 27, 2012

Why we have guys around

Last night at 9:45 I battled with this guy...


...and I lost miserably. All I wanted was to make a pb & j for my lunch, but even as I exerted all of my strength--over and over again--I could not pop the lid off. Jenny gave it a shot next and I genuinely thought she might have the right finishing touch after I had loosened it up, but she couldn't get it to budge either.

"That's why we need guys around!" Averill said.

Aha! Fortunately where we live, we have a wide selection of guys right across the sidewalk from us. So feeling slightly like the damsel in distress, I took my jam to our neighbors, and when Chris answered I asked shamelessly, "Chris, as co-chair of the service council, can you please open this jar for me?"

"Ooo," he said, feeling the pressure, I could tell. "I'll give it a try." Then, with much less effort than me, he twisted the lid right off and handed the jar of jam back to me.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed and began to turn back toward my apartment.

"Wait," he paused, a little confused. "Is that really all you needed?"

"Yep!"

When I walked back into our apartment I found Averill sitting at the table and told her, "We have some manly men across the sidewalk!"

What would we do without them?

2 comments:

  1. OK, before you and i lived together, I once had this thing of juice that i desperately wanted to drink...and yet I couldn't open it. So I went outside into the apartment complex and there was no one around. So I went back inside in defeat. This happened for about 3 days before I remembered to ask a guy to open the juice when one was actually in my apartment. It was a shameful week for my little arms. (Michelle Obama arms.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men are handy to have around for many reasons, but this is definitely one of them!

    ReplyDelete